Friday, August 13, 2010

We're back from vacationing up in the Adirondack's....

 and we had a wonderful time!   The first night we went to a community play that took place in the local upholstery shop by day and the 'Recovery Lounge' by night.  The name of the play was called 'The Real West' and it kept our attention for sure.  It was a fun night.


The next day we headed out for a hike up Whiteface Mountain.  It was a glorious day and the top of the mountain was a comfortable 66 degrees while at the base it was in the sweltering 90's.  It felt so good up there and the views were clear and grand!
Here we are making our way up.

Tah Dah!!!  We made it to the peak!


The girls posing at the base of the mountain.

On Wednesday we hiked in Keene, NY.  It was a shorter hike but this time there weren't any railings to help us up.  I thought this hike was more difficult even though it was far shorter in distance.  Here's a picture of the girl's after our hike.


On Thursday we took a ferry to Vermont and enjoyed a day of sightseeing and shopping.  Definitely a must for us girls.  We started off at the local country store.


It was cute as a button on the outside



and inside.  We picked up some local maple syrup.


We dropped the girls off at the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory (that's B & G's sign in the distance) and my husband and I went to the antique store across the street!  A good trade off for me.  I picked up some treasures that I can't wait to show you!!  One of my fav finds was an old vintage maple sap bucket that someone had painted a Vermont winter scene on the front of it.  I'm picturing it on my front porch this winter stuffed with boughs!


Then we headed up the street to The Trapp Family Lodge.  You remember The Sound of Music Trapp Family?  This is where they moved to when they left Austria.

The Trapp Family Lodge

and one of the many paintings inside the lodge.


A picture I took while heading back to New York State via ferry.


I can't go on any vacation without taking pictures of lovely cottages.


Not only did I think this porch was charming but I love the idea of the ski's hanging on the ski rack.  Another idea I hope to steal and use on our cabin's porch some day.


I have a soft spot for window boxes.  So pretty!

I hope you're enjoying your summer.  I can't believe how hot it's been!  I hate to mention it....but I'm seeing leaves changing color and starting to fall already.  I think the change of seasons is bitter sweet.  ~amy

7 comments:

Kat said...

It looks like you had a lovely vacation Amy! Beautiful photos. That little country store is adorable - those floors are gorgeous! Love all the beautiful homes too. I think the skis on the porch are such a neat idea. Of course, in my dream home they would be water skis LOL

Jackie said...

Hi Amy! Those mountain views were gorgeous. I love the skis on the porch idea too although we don't have anywhere to ski here LOL! Looks like you had another wonderful vacation thanks for sharing it with us. Look forward to seeing your goodies.

Jackie

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and for commenting on my bookcases. The views and sights of your vacation are lovely. The country store looks like a really neat place to visit.
I read your profile again, we love visiting Niagara on the Lake too.

Suzie Button said...

What a lovely, perfect vacation! Your pictures made me yearn for the mountains I grew up near in Maryland! I must make it there one day also! Suzie

Anonymous said...

We define "vacation" the same way, Amy! How wonderful to get out with your family and enjoy it together!

I see a few leaves changing here too! It seems like this summer went by too, too fast! My fingers are crossed that we will have an Indian Summer with warm temps into October. :)

Wishing you a lovely day,
Zuzu

Michelle @ between cottage and cabin said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. I also think the change of seasons is bitter sweet. You can tell fall is on its way, the air is starting to feel different. Hope you enjoy the last few days of summer, Michelle

Ann said...

Thanks for dropping by my VTT post. Looks like you vacationed in a fabulous spot. The Inn looks like heaven nestled in woods. I've never been to this part of the country but I would love to.
Ann